HOW IT STARTED
In 1967, a group of Buick owners, mostly owners of immediately post-war Buicks, got together and placed an advertisement in "The Age" newspaper (Melbourne, Australia), to attract like minded owners.
Buick parts were becoming very scarce and the remaining stocks were being monopolised by a few individuals. Their idea was to form a one-make car club with the initial purpose of providing a means by which owners could exchange knowledge and parts for their road cars, which were beginning to show their age.
The inaugural meeting was held on Saturday, 18th of March, 1967 at the Nokomis Hall, Logie Court, Oakleigh and quite a few people attended.
Eleven people (eight present and three apologies) were recognised as foundation members. Foundation Members being:
Mr. NJE Garner
Mr. GW Davis
Mr. JD Balding
Mr. G Kratzer
Mr. A Couch
Mr. M Bormin
Mr. K Buchholz
Mr J Pinner (pictured)
Mr.B Dean (pictured)
Mr, W Carmichael (pictured)
Mr. C Chandler (pictured)
Clyde Chandler was appointed chairman and it was decided to advertise again and have a further meeting at the same venue.
A subcommittee / steering committee consisting of R Carmichael, B Dean, G Davis and C Chandler was formed to draw up a constitution and rules for presentation at the next meeting. The steering committee met at Clyde Chandlers home in Camberwell, where the constitution was drafted.
The first General Meeting of "The Buick Car Club" was held at the Nokomis Hall, Logie Crt, Oakliegh on the 15th April 1967.
THE EARLY YEARS
The first outing of the Buick Car Club was on Sunday, 11th of June 1967 to the Healesville Wildlife Sanctuary.
THE BUICK CAR CLUB WORKSHOP
Clyde Chandler moved to Barkers Rd, Hawthorn. At the rear of this property was a large shed with an area of 1500 square feet. This shed became the Buick Car Club "Workshop". Access was from a lane at the rear of Barkers Rd and on any Saturday or Sunday, a range of Buicks would be parked in and near the laneway and club members would be working on members' Buicks or stripping cars that had been given to the Club. Spares were been cataloged and stored. At any time there would be up to 10 cars in the "Workshop", plus spares. Mr Jack Pinner was the Workshop Supervisor and Technical Advisor.
EARLY MEETINGS OF THE CLUB
In September 1967, the meeting place of "The Buick Car Club" was moved to the Congregational Church Hall, corner Kent and Burnley Street in North Richmond.
EARLY CLUB MAGAZINES
The Buick Car Club of Australia produces an informative Journal once a month except in January for the information of members and interested parties. The First Newsletter produced by the Buick Car Club was in August 1967, six months after the formation of the club.
From 1971, photo pages started to appear.
Buicks in the carpark at Healesville, 1967
Brian Dean's 1926 Buick Lead car on the first social outing
The Congregational Church, Richmond. 2004